What you wear on your feet is the most important part of foot care. One quarter of the bones in your body are located in your feet, and your feet are the foundation and support for the rest of your body. If you are experiencing foot, ankle, knee, lower back or shoulder pain, it very well may stem from improper care of your feet.
These pains are often caused by the style and fit of your shoes. A supportive shoe, combined with the proper (arch support) insert, will put your foot in its natural position for walking and standing. By putting your foot in balance, the alignment of other joints will be improved; properly aligned joints means less pain inflatable slide.
Did you know?
- The average person walks the equivalent of 3.5 times around the world during their lifetime.
- 90% of all people wear improperly fitted shoes. Ouch!!
- The human foot contains 26 bones, 33 joints, and over 100 tendons, muscles and ligaments. That’s an awful lot of places for pain to occur.
- Most foot problems are caused or aggravated by poorly fitted shoes.
What to do if your feet are hurting?
- Replace your tennis shoes often (usually between 200 – 450 miles). Once the sole starts to wear out, your feet and your body start to take more and more of the impact. If you wait to replace the shoes until they are falling apart, your feet and your body will suffer. The shoes need to control your feet and not allow them to go where ever they want to go. Shoes that are worn out will not control your feet and keep you in balance. It’s up to you. Pay now by buying good quality and comfortable shoes or pay later with pain and doctor visits.
- Ice massage, rolling your foot over a cold plastic soda bottle will do wonders for a painful arch by reducing the inflammation.
- Try a proper arch support insert. Inserts are supportive devices that fit into shoes and support your feet. When properly fit in your shoes, the insert acts as an interface between the foot, the shoe and the ground. With a proper insert you are supporting your foot and ankle while standing and walking, as well as improving your balance, alignment, performance and comfort any time you are on your feet. Allowing more equal weight distribution relieves undesirable stresses associated with foot pain and discomfort across the under surface of the foot.
In your lifetime you will walk over 100,000 miles! Care for your feet with proper shoes and inserts will improve the overall structural health of your feet. Remember, you only get one pair of feet. Take care of them.
Jerick Sobie, Board Certified Pedorthist
Lucky Feet Shoes
For a free foot scan & gait analysis, call to set up an appointment. We have two locations: Riverside Plaza (951-682-1311) and Rancho Cucamonga (909-987-5555).